[Haskell-cafe] Installation of the New Haskell Platform

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 4 18:48:42 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 11:04:36AM -0400, Victor Miller wrote:
> Before I install it (on on Mac OS X Lion) is there anything, manually, that
> I need to do in order to keep all of the cabal packages that I've
> installed, or are the reinstalled automatically?

Neither.  If you install a new version of GHC, you must reinstall any
cabal packages you want, because they must be recompiled with the new
GHC.

Note that cabal-install does have a special command

  cabal install world

which (IIUC) is supposed to help automate this process, although I
can't vouch for it since I have never tried it.

-Brent