[Haskell-cafe] Need inputs for a Haskell awareness presentation

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Jun 1 17:07:17 CEST 2012

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap at gmail.com> writes:

>     c) Where's my inheritance?

I was of the impression that OO has crawled our way, for instance
frowing upon (implementation) inheritance and mutable data structures.
Maybe you could find appropriate references?  Lots of language
development these days seems to be looking to functional languages for
inspiration.

>     e) Static types - in this day and age - come on - productivity in X is
> so much more - and that's because they got rid of type mess.

Don't mention static types until later - show code without annotations.
Then later explain that things are statically typed even without
annotations, and that static types helps correctness, e.g. when
refactoring code, or building complex compositions of higher order functions.
Could you reasonalby do arrows or monads etc. in a dynamically typed
language?

Moreover, I don't think STM is going to work without types separating
TVars from other data, and this shows our types are more powerful than
your grandfather's C-style type systems.

>     g) Oh FP, as in Lisp, oh, that's AI stuff right ... we don't really do
> AI.

...and Java, that's imperative...like Fortran, isn't it?  Nah, we don't
calculate artillery tables, so...

Btw, maybe there could be a wiki section or something with stuff like
this - I think it would be useful to collect introductory resources for
settings like this - I know I'm often being asked about this Haskell
stuff from colleagues and friends.

-k