[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Spam on the Haskell wiki

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Mon Jul 30 23:35:50 CEST 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:03:49 +0200, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl at chello.nl>
wrote:

> I am willing to do administrator tasks.
>
>> 4. ReCAPTCHA enabled for 'edits adding new, unrecognized external
>> links' - which is all of the spam.
>
> This is already enabled.

The HaskellWiki is still flooded with spam; we should take some measure to
reduce the stream severely. Most spam seems to be created
(semi-)automated; the pages do not contain links, the usernames end with
two digits, most of the time. Some cures I have thought up:

  - Verify new wiki accounts, before granting them rights,
    based on e-mails in the Haskell mailing lists
    (or subscription of a Haskell mailing list)

  - Let new users only change pages, not create new pages

  - Block creation of usernames
     o ending with two or more digits
     o with more than one x or q
     o starting with "buy"
     o longer than 20 characters
     o with more than 4 consonants in a row

  - Block creation of pages with words in a certain list
    (Coach, Vuitton, Chanel, handbags, purses, outlet, luggage, "Nike Air
Jordan")

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--