[Haskell-cafe] Is (==) commutative?

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 05:37:15 CEST 2012

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the list.

On 07/26/2012 11:53 AM, Alexander Solla wrote:
>> (consider, e.g., 'head undefined' vs. 'head [undefined]')
This was a typo, I meant 'tail undefined' vs. 'tail [undefined]'.

> I'm not arguing one way or the other (I know what I do, unless there's
> a need to do the other).  What I'm saying is there are lots of ways to
> interpret a language, and we can choose between them.  If you want to
> analyze Haskell, you will have to choose an interpretation for it.
> Haskell, as a logic, is paraconsistent (i.e., it's unsound.  So your
> theory for Haskell either needs to keep contradiction in the object
> language (the "partial" case where we do not identify bottoms) or take
> it out of the object language and put it into the analytical
> meta-language.
The intention is not to use Haskell as a logic, but to use an existing
logic (HOLCF, reference in an earlier mail; thus the interpretation is
already fixed to a high degree) to formally verify Haskell programs. In
order to do that the program to be verified has to be "rewritten" inside
the logic and everything that is proved about this "formal variant" of
the program should be transferable to the real program (assuming that
"Haskell's semantics" was captured correctly).

Another problem is if the formalization is too strict, i.e., requires
properties from functions that are not satisfied in practice and that's
where my original question about commutativity of (==) came from. If
there are "reasonable" Haskell programs for which (==) is
non-commutative, we should not require it, since we could not formalize
those programs then.

cheers

chris