[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: hackage compile failure with QuickCheck 2.5

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 10:19:46 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 06:50:31AM +0100, Andres Löh wrote:
> Using --avoid-reinstalls blindly or as a default flag is also
> unfortunately not a good idea in general. There are simply too many
> cases where installing older versions of packages (which is often the
> only thing that helps) is not really the solution you want. That's
> also the reason why it's not enabled by default.

I need a combination of flags that I can use blindly with the greatest
chance of success.  The default doesn't work on packages like this one:

% cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.14.0
using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
% cabal install sbv-2.2
Resolving dependencies...
In order, the following would be installed:
HUnit-1.2.4.3 (new package)
containers-0.5.0.0 (new version)
random-1.0.1.1 (new package)
strict-concurrency-0.2.4.1 (new package)
syb-0.3.7 (new package)
template-haskell-2.7.0.0 (reinstall) changes: containers-0.4.2.1 -> 0.5.0.0
QuickCheck-2.5 (new package)
transformers-0.3.0.0 (new package)
mtl-2.1.2 (new package)
sbv-2.2 (new package)
cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:
ghc-7.4.1
Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.

So should I be blindly using --force-reinstalls?  Each build is in a
clean environment, so breaking the installation isn't so serious.