[Haskell-cafe] Haskell's type inference considered harmful [Re: [Haskell] A riddle...]

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:23:24 CEST 2012

You will be warned about the top-level definitions not including a
type-signature if you use the -Wall flag. This isn't really a complete
solution to your gripes, but it does address the change in behaviour
that you saw when adding/removing the commented code, and would draw
your attention to the logical error of trying to squeeze numbers that
were too large into a Word16.

I've been caught by unwarned truncation of numeric literals before
too, so it would be great if there were warnings for this.