[Haskell-cafe] RFCQ: The Classy Prelude: a more fully polymophic, drop-in alternative prelude http://www.yesodweb.com/blog/2012/07/classy-prelude

Max Cantor mxcantor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:47:58 CEST 2012

I'd like to share Michael Snoyman's Classy Prelude:
http://www.yesodweb.com/blog/2012/07/classy-prelude .  The basic gist of
the work is that many of the standard prelude functions are made for
concrete types such as [a], [(a,b)], and [Char] but can be much more
polymorphic.  While this complicates error messages and makes learning
Haskell more difficult, we believe experienced Haskellers will benefit from
the added polymorphism.  Note that we aren't saying that the standard
Prelude should be replaced, rather we are offering this as a drop-in
alternative.  Note that it reexports most of the standard Prelude types so
it should be very low impact to switch over.

We love to hear your comments.  Note however, that this is a RFCQ with the
'C' standing for constructive..

Thanks,
Max