[Haskell-cafe] haskell.org is so fragile

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Fri Jul 13 01:28:30 CEST 2012

On 07/12/2012 11:04 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/07/2012 13:06, Takayuki Muranushi wrote:
>> Today I have observed that hackage.haskell.org/ timeout twice (in the
>> noon and in the evening.)
>>
>> What is the problem? Is it that haskell users have increased so that
>> haskell.org is overloaded? That's very good news.
>> I am eager to donate some money if it requires server reinforcement.
>
> The issue is unfortunately more to do with sysadmin resources than
> server hardware; there's noone with the time to actively manage the
> server and make sure that it's running well. Any ideas for improving the
> situation would be gratefully received.
>
> Today there were some problems with some processes taking up a lot of
> resources. One of the problems was the hackage search script, which has
> been disabled for now.

Since I don't have insight into the "inner sanctum" (aka.
"service/server setup") this may be way off base, but how about adding a
Varnish instance in front of haskell.org and its various subdomains? It
could cache everything for 5 minutes (unconditional) and reduce load by
ridiculous amounts.

Regards,