[Haskell-cafe] Any good tool to write Haskell documents including tests?

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Tue Jul 10 21:58:33 CEST 2012

On 07/10/12 10:20, Takayuki Muranushi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been a forgetful person, and lots of things I have only
> pretended to understand. I want to change this. So, to educate myself,
> I'd like to write documented tests for many libraries I meet, and also
> publish them onto the web so that others may find them useful or find
> mistakes for me. OK, blog articles are good, but they have no (forced)
> tests.
>
> Maybe some of you have practiced this or developping such tools. I see
> some candidate tools, too. What is your suggestion for this?
>
> I have tried doctest, because of its read–eval–print loop (REPL) style I liked.
>
> https://github.com/nushio3/practice/tree/master/control-monad-loop
>
> It produces html as attached to this mail. It's pretty, but I'd like
> to have more control on HTML.
> Maybe Gitit + Doctest in Pandoc is a good alternative?

I know this isn't what you asked for, but: please submit these tests
upstream when you're done. The lack of basic examples for library
functions is a huge barrier-to-entry for almost every library on hackage.

I think it would be a big help -- the fact that the code actually
executes and can be checked automatically makes it easy for the
maintainer to include them.