[Haskell-cafe] Need advice: Haskell in Web Client

dokondr dokondr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:35:53 CET 2012

**Bardur Arantsson wrote:
>On 01/26/2012 11:16 AM, dokondr wrote:
>> Ideally, I would be happy to be able to write in Haskell a complete
>> front-end / GUI, so it could be compiled to different back-ends:
Javascript
>> to run in the Browser and also a standalone app.
>> In Python world this is already done with Pyjamas (http://pyjs.org/) -
"a
>> Rich Internet Application (RIA) Development Platform for both Web
and
>> Desktop."
>> Also from Pyjamas site:
>> Pyjamas "... contains a Python-to-Javascript compiler, an AJAX
framework
>> and a Widget Set
API.

>> Pyjamas Desktop is the Desktop version of
Pyjamas
>> Pyjamas Desktop allows the exact same python web application source code
>> be executed as a standalone desktop application (running under
Python)
>> instead of being stuck in a Web browser."
>>
>> Architecture diagram
>> http://pyjs.org/wiki/pyjamasandpyjamasdesktop/
>>
>> I wonder if somebody works on similar Haskell "Rich Internet
Application
>> (RIA) Development Platform" ?
>> Any ideas, comments on implementation of such system in Haskell? What
>> existing Haskell GUI libraries can be used for a desktop GUI, etc.?
>>

>Well, it's basically just proof-of-concept at the moment, and it's not
>really usable for real applications at the moment, but there is
>
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dingo-core-0.1.0
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dingo-widgets-0.1.0
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dingo-example-0.1.0
>
>The basic client<->server communication, server-side state handling,
>etc. is there, but it's missing a couple of things before it could be
>used for real apps: There's no real security, and there are *very* few
>widgets. The few widgets that exist at the moment are also probably
>lacking a few operations. On the plus side, it's should be pretty easy
>to create new widgets.
>
>You can get a feel for how the thing looks from an application
>programmer's perspective by looking at the source for the example.

Looks neat, thanks!
If I got this write, in dingo all web page content is created by running
Haskell on the server side in run-time and then sending generated html + js
to the client (browser).
I am looking for the opposite - when client does more work running
Javascript generated by Haskell in advance, the approach that Pyjamas use (
http://pyjs.org/) with Python to Javascript compilation.