[Haskell-cafe] Natural Transformations and fmap

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Jan 28 05:02:39 CET 2012

On 1/27/12 7:56 PM, Ryan Ingram wrote:
>> Thus, you can in principle define plenty of natural transformations which
> do not have the type f :: forall X. M X ->  N X.
>
> Can you suggest one?  I don't see how you can get around f needing to act
> at multiple types since it can occur before and after g's fmap:

Right. A natural transformation is a family of functions (one for each
type).

My point was, "forall" is one way of defining a family of functions, but
it's not the only one. For instance, we could use a type class, or some
fancy generics library, or a non-parametric forall in languages which
allow type-case.

Or we could use some way of defining it which is outside of the language
in which the component functions exist. For example, consider the simply
typed lambda calculus. STLC doesn't have quantifiers so we can't define
(f :: forall X. M X -> N X) as a natural transformation from within the
language, but we could still talk about the family of simply-typed
functions { f_X :: M X -> N X | X <- type }. Calling a family of
functions a natural transformation is an extralinguistic statement about
the functions; there are, in general, more natural transformations than
can be defined from within the language in question. Just as there are,
in general, more endofunctors than can be defined within the language
(let alone other functors).

The "naturality" behind natural transformations is just the fact that
(forall g, fmap g . f = f . fmap g). Satisfying the equation means that
the family of fs is "parametric enough", regardless of how we've defined
the family or how/whether we can implement the family as polymorphism
within the language.

--
Live well,
~wren