[Haskell-cafe] Terminology: different levels of strictness

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 27 16:31:56 CET 2012

There are some terms for these cases, but they are a bit ad hoc.
length is what we might call spine-strict; head is head-strict.

Projection analysis takes the approach that we can more precisely
characterize the strictness only by considering both what is passed
to the function as input, as well as how much is demanded by the
context (for example, you might return a tuple, one of the values
of which causes lots of evaluation, and the other of which doesn't.)
Unfortunately, this is not enough precision to consider elem.

Edward

Excerpts from Yves Parès's message of Fri Jan 27 10:13:54 -0500 2012: