[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Monads, do and strictness

David Barbour dmbarbour at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 21:18:09 CET 2012

`undefined` is not a value in any domain. It isn't a value at all. It's
certainly not part of my monad language or algebra. Up to the semantic
level of comparing observable and legally defined behaviors, we can have
the identity law. That's sufficient for the letter of the law, even if not
ideal from Haskell's operational perspective.

Implicit use of laziness or undefined to model and reason about data or
algebras is a mistake that mixes semantic layers. Even in Haskell. There's
a reason every robust library for processing signals or streams will model
them explicitly.

Regards,

Dave