[Haskell-cafe] Monads, do and strictness

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sat Jan 21 20:22:32 CET 2012

* David Barbour <dmbarbour at gmail.com> [2012-01-21 11:09:43-0800]
> Logically only has meaning when `=` applies to values in the domain.
> `undefined` is not a value in the domain.
>
> We can define monads - which meet monad laws - even in strict languages.

In strict languages 'undefined' is not a value in the domain indeed, but
it is in non-strict languages, exactly because they are non-strict.

I think that's what Robert Harper meant by saying that Haskell doesn't
have a type of lists, while ML has one [1].

[1]: http://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/the-real-point-of-laziness/