[Haskell-cafe] How to get Cabal to spit out a .a library suitable for linking into C/Objective-C

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:18:19 CET 2012

Hi David,

On 20 January 2012 22:34, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you figure out what you need to know?
>

> Sadly, no.
>

>>  If not, I would suggest
>> asking this same question but on StackOverflow (assuming you haven't
>> already asked there).

I missed this question the first time around. Sorry.

I don't have a canned answer to your question, but on the wxHaskell team we
have recently been working on (ab)using Cabal to produce shared libraries,
and almost everything is just as applicable to static libraries. It's not
all working yet, but some of the following pointers might help you to
understand how to make Cabal linking configurable.

http://wewantarock.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/building-a-shared-library-in-cabal/
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28520475
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28665900

> Great suggestion.  Thanks!
>

>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM, David Pollak
>> <feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to figure out how to get Cabal configured to compile and
>> link my
>> > Haskell code such that the code can be part of C and/or Objective-C code
>> > such that all the Haskell dependencies are rolled into a .a file and
>> can be
>> > linked by a normal C linker (e.g., ld).
>> >
>> > I've been
>> > through
>> http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/users_guide/ffi-ghc.html#using-own-main
>> > and the associated linked, but I'm unable to find out the Cabal
>> incantation
>> > to output a library that's linkable into my other code.  Any pointers or
>> > examples would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > David

Best regards