[Haskell-cafe] black Wikipedia

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Jan 19 01:25:49 CET 2012

However the fallout is likely to destroy both open source and resale
on the internet.

For instance, the existence of this is enough to get hackage a
takedown under SOPA.
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/conjure

now, you might say we can just move hackage out of the US, but then
any site that _links_ to hackage from within the US will then be
subject to takedown from within the US, and any US based search engine
would be unable to index hackage or return results to it, until
hackage hired a lawyer to prove they don't fascilitate piracy. And I
am not even sure they would win, providing a bittorrent client is
fascilitting piracy because it can be used as a piratebay client.
supporting piracy is transitive under SOPA. think freshmeat.net,
slashdot.org, github, basically any site that links to user content
can be shut down. And haskell.org won't be able to link to it without
also falling prey to SOPA. it's transitive.

Not only that, but the proponents are not just hollywood, it is anyone
that feels they will have an advantage with the ability to bully
internet sites. For instance, monster cable is a huge supporter and
they have a history of suing any site that posts bad reviews of their
products or anyone that uses the words 'monster' or 'cable'. under
SOPA they could just get the sites they want shut down until they
capitulate. Silicon Valley need not fear this sort of thing too much
as they can bite back with lawyers of their own, but independent sites
will find themselves shut off or delisted and sites linking to them
shut down.

    John