[Haskell-cafe] Monad-control rant

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:31:00 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 03:47, Mikhail Vorozhtsov <
mikhail.vorozhtsov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/18/2012 01:52 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:29, Mikhail Vorozhtsov
>> <mikhail.vorozhtsov at gmail.com <mailto:mikhail.vorozhtsov@**gmail.com<mikhail.vorozhtsov at gmail.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>    I wouldn't be too optimistic about convincing GHC HQ. Even making
>>    Applicative a superclass of Monad can make Haskell98 nazis come
>>    after you in ninja suits.
>>
>> What?!  The only significant complaint I've seen here is that the
>> necessary language support for doing so without breaking more or less
>> every Haskell program currently in existence is difficult to achieve.
>>
> This is a /big/ exaggeration. What libraries exactly are going to be
> broken?

One of the big reasons the Haskell Platform release got delayed for so long
is a similar breaking change (making the haskell98 package incompatible
with base), which left a bunch of required libraries unable to build; it
took quite a while for all of them to get updated.  I expect the same thing
to happen with the Functor, Applicative => Monad change.