[Haskell-cafe] How to make asynchronous I/O composable and safe?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:42:33 CET 2012

This is an interesting problem, I think I might incorporate parts of it
into the next revision of my Concurrent Haskell tutorial.

It sounds like you're getting overwhelmed by several different problems,
and dealing with them separately would probably help.  e.g. you want
some infrastructure to run two threads and send an exception to one
whenever the other one dies.  You also want to be able to avoid a thread
being interrupted while performing an operation that should be atomic,
like sending a message - this is slightly tricky, because there's a
tradeoff between keeping the thread responsive and not interrupting an
operation.  The biggest hammer is maskUninterruptible, which can be used
if all else fails.

Whether Network.TLS supports simultaneous read and write I don't know,
but you can examine the code or talk to the maintainer.  If it doesn't,
adding a layer of locking is straightforward, and doesn't increase
overall complexity (it's localised).

Cheers,
	Simon