[Haskell-cafe] How to make asynchronous I/O composable and safe?

Joey Adams joeyadams3.14159 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:42:36 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Bardur Arantsson <spam at scientician.net> wrote:
> So, the API becomes something like:
>
>   runSocketServer :: ((Chan a, Chan b) -> IO ()) -> ... -> IO ()
>
> where the first parameter contains the "client logic" and "A" is the type of
> the messages from the client and "B" is the type of the messages which are
> sent back to the client.

Thanks, that's a good idea.  Even if I only plan to receive in one
thread, placing the messages in a Chan or TChan helps separate my
application thread from the complexities of connection management.

Is there something on Hackage that will do this for me?  Or will I
need to roll my own?  Namely, convert a network connection to a pair
of channels, and close the connection automatically.  Something like
this:

    -- | Spawn two threads, one which populates the first channel with messages
    -- from the other host, and another which reads the second channel and sends
    -- its messages to the other host.
    --
    -- Run the given computation, passing it these channels.  When the
computation
    -- completes (or throws an exception), sending and receiving will
stop, and the
    -- connection will be closed.
    --
    -- If either the receiving thread or sending thread encounter an exception,
    -- sending and receiving will stop, and an asynchronous exception will be