[Haskell-cafe] named pipe interface

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Fri Jan 13 19:08:04 CET 2012

Quoth "Serge D. Mechveliani" <mechvel at botik.ru>,
[ ... why in Haskell instead of FFI ... ]

> Because it is a direct and the simplest approach. Why does one need a
> foreign language, if all the needed functions are in the standard
> Haskell library?

The GHC Haskell library makes some compromises with normal I/O
functionality for the sake of its runtime thread system.  As
difficult as named pipes can be in any case, they can be even
trickier in GHC Haskell for this reason.  I didn't suggest an
FFI approach myself, in my previous follow-up, only because
if you haven't worked with the FFI it's a significant initial
investment, but I believe it's what I would do.  (If I were
somehow compelled to used named pipes.)

	Donn