[Haskell-cafe] GHC exceeding command line length limit with split-objs - and a possible fix

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:09:57 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 14:50, Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpichov at gmail.com>wrote:

> Do you think that what I originally proposed is still a good thing to have
> before implementing your solution? (it definitely would be for myself, as
> it's easier to do and I'd then quicker become able to build my application
> with split-objs and shrink its executable size from 11 to 2Mb)

Only if it works; my expectation is that all you will accomplish is to move
the failure point, as the command line for ld is usually larger than the
one for gcc.  It is possible that gcc will do something to deal with it
itself, but I have a suspicion that only works (if it does) with binutils
ld, which is not usable on OS X.

BTW, I'm actually suggesting that split-objs create an archive, where
non-split-objs creates an object; from there I suspect you wouldn't
actually need to handle anything any differently between the two cases
(aside from specifying the .a instead of the .o as needed).