[Haskell-cafe] Experiments in Haskell Packaging

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Mon Jan 9 14:38:55 CET 2012

> > I don’t have any problem with installing the tools into user-land –
> > this will be true of all of the components in the justhub distro –
> > provided you start with the source code.
>
> Long ago the Fedora Haskell project's rpm packages were relocatable for this reason.  So it may still be possible and not that hard to do.

I have looked into it -- unless we can unpack a bindist as part of the post-install step, it doesn't look practical.

I have yet to be convinced that the RPM route make sense for the restrictive situation that Sanket outlines and I am trying to keep an open mind.

I don't want to distribute sources either -- I think the solution will involve bindists.

What a piece of work is a GHC bindist!

Chris

> I don’t have any problem with installing the tools into user-land –
> this will be true of all of the components in the justhub distro –
> provided you start with the source code.

Long ago the Fedora Haskell project's rpm packages were relocatable for this reason.  So it may still be possible and not that hard to do.

Jens