[Haskell-cafe] (no subject)

Christoph Breitkopf chbreitkopf at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 17:54:35 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to handle versioning of my IntervalMap
package. I've just read the package versioning policy:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

I don't quite understand all the recommendations in the above document,
though:

a) You are not allowed to remove or change the types of existing stuff. Ok.

b) You are allowed to add new functions. But that can break compilation
because of name conflicts. Seems to be allowed on the grounds that this is
easy to fix in the client code.

c) You are not allowed to add new instances. I don't get this - how is this
any worse than b)?

I do understand that it is not generally possible to prevent breaking code
- for example if the client code depends on buggy behavior that gets fixed
in a minor version update. That seems unavoidable - after all, bugfixes are
_the_ reason for minor updates.

Regards,

Chris