[Haskell-cafe] Experiments in Haskell Packaging

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Thu Jan 5 11:15:03 CET 2012

Hi Sanket,

If you like you can put a ticket into the issue tracker
<https://github.com/haskell-hub/hub-gen/issues>  (otherwise I will do it
myself).

I am sorry that you have had to go to such lengths to get Haskell working on
your systems.

Unfortunately I don't think it is going to be straightforward to make the
packages relocatable.

Could you say a little more about why you need to do this? Do you need a
user-space install?

I had targeted this distribution primarily at development systems and build
servers where I would expect populating /usr/hs with read-only data and code
wouldn't be a problem.

It sounds like you might be immediately better off working directly with the
source code. I can help with this obviously as I have had to solve these
problems. (The REHEL5-supplied gcc and binutils tools are too to build
recent GHC releases, so I use more recent tools, which I also package with
the distribution.)

In the medium/long term It may be easier to address these needs with a
separate 'lite' distribution focused on field-deployment with relocatable
packages, which may as well be user-space deployable too.

This will need to be researched and could take some time.

If anybody else is interested in this then please get in contact.

Also, if anybody has any other gripes or ideas about how Haskell
distributions generally it would be good to hear.

Chris