[Haskell-cafe] Solved but strange error in type inference

AUGER Cédric sedrikov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:50:01 CET 2012

Le Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:46:15 +0100,
Yves Parès <limestrael at gmail.com> a écrit :

> > Actually, my question is why the different type can't be unified
> > with the
> inferred type?
>
> Because without ScopedTypeVariable, both types got expanded to :
>
> legSome :: *forall nt* t s. LegGram nt t s -> nt -> Either String
> ([t], s)
>
> subsome :: *forall nt* t s. [RRule nt t s] ->  Either String ([t], s)
>
> So you see subsome declare new variables, which *do not *match the
> *rigid *ones declared by legSome signature, hence the incompatibility.

How ugly! I thought that Haskell didn't allow to mask type variables.

Does that mean that I can do:

foo :: (a -> a) -> (b -> b) -> a -> a
foo bar dummy =
  let strange :: a -> a
      strange = dummy
  in
  foo

(ok, that's dead code, but how misleading it would be!)

Is there some way to enforce a typing error here?
(I am pretty sure there is some flag to have explicit 'forall's,
but I am not sure that it forces you to use 'forall' explicitely.)

I come from Coq community (where forall must be explicit) and Ocaml
community (where most people strongly rely on type inference and do not
put types very often). I didn't try this example on Ocaml.

> As we said before, you have three ways to work it out:
> 1) Use scoped type variables with explicit forall nt on legSome and
> *no forall *on subsome, so that nt in subsome matches nt declared in
> legSome. 2) Don't give a type signature for subsome and let GHC find
> out which is its correct type.
> 3) Extract subsome so that it becomes a top-level function with a
> polymorphic type (Recommended).

In fact I first wanted to write directly the method without using
auxiliary functions (I changed my mind since, as I redisigned my code
and it wasn't possible [or at least natural for me] to put the code
directly inlined).

In fact I often do nested functions when there are free variables in
the function. I particulary hate to have code like that:

foo :: bar -> foobar -> barfoo
foo b fb = if f b fb
           then foo b (g b fb)
           else h b fb

as b is in fact invariant in the calls of 'foo'; so I always rewrite
this as:

foo :: bar -> foobar -> barfoo
foo b = let fooAux :: foobar -> barfoo
            fooAux fb = if f b fb
                        then fooAux (g b fb)
                        else h b fb
        in fooAux

that is more verbose, but I well see what are the recursive parameters,
and I have the (probably wrong) feeling that it is better since
function calls have less arguments.

Here subsome was depending on the free variable "sg", so I had to
generalize it to do so even if I won't have benefits in having the
ability to use it elsewhere (as it was the only place I wanted to use
it).

I always prefer to minimize the number of specialized functions, since
I hate jumping from parts of code to other parts of code to understand
what a function really does.