[Haskell-cafe] Experiments in Haskell Packaging

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Tue Jan 3 13:49:51 CET 2012

'Antoine Latter' <aslatter at gmail.com>:

> All of this is in my head, but assuming I already had some sort of
> Linux build-server set up, it would be nice to combine it with your
> work to make it easier to have the build-server run tests against
> multiple versions of GHC/HP. That's all I was getting at.

Working within the Hub framework this is straightforward. If you are using public releases rather than special builds of the tools then it should be quite easy.

Supposing you needed to test with Haskell Platform 2011.2.0.1 and hexpat-0.19.7:

        # install the platform (probably done already)

        sudo yum install haskell-platform-2011.2.0.1-hub

       # create new hub 'test-2011.2.0.1' based this HP

       hub init 2011.2.0.1 test-2011.2.0.1

       # install hexpat-0.19.7 into it

       hub install-into test-2011.2.0.1 hexpat-2011.2.0.1

Repeat as necessary to create your array of test environments.

Now you just have to arrange select the appropriate hub for each test. Suppose the environment variable $testhubs contains all of your test hubs ('test-2011.2.0.1', etc.), then the following shell command would prime the tools to successively use each of the test environments on each invocation  of make.

        for h in $testhubs; do HUB=$h make; done

Note that the justhub distribution isn't necessary for this -- you can do it manually.

But it does make it easier.

Chris