[Haskell-cafe] Clarifying a mis-understanding about regions (and iteratees)

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:49:15 CET 2012

ResourceT really addresses a different problem.  Specifically, the
issue of how to guarantee that finalizers will run in the context of
short-circuiting monadic effects.  It does this by providing a single
region (not nested regions as Oleg describes) as the base of the monad
stack, ensuring that any short-circuiting effects still need to go
through the ResourceT layer's finalization steps.

Same implementation strategy, different goal.

It doesn't provide nested regions, although you may be able to stack
multiple ResourceT's on top of each other (I have no idea if this
works or not) to do so.

The "regions" package (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regions) is
another implementation predating ResourceT.  I don't know why it never
caught on, except perhaps that at announcement time it was a solution
without a problem.

John L.