[Haskell-cafe] Data.Array.Accelerate initialization timings

Martin Dybdal dybber at dybber.dk
Wed Feb 22 17:35:22 CET 2012

On 20 February 2012 16:39, Paul Sujkov <psujkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, it seems that I see now what's going wrong way. I'm not using the 'run'
> function from the CUDA backend, and so by default I guess the code is
> interpreted (the test backend used for semantics check). However, it's not
> perfectly clear how to use CUDA backend explicitly.

Neither the interpreter or the CUDA code are used in your example.
Everything in Data.Array.Accelerate are front-end stuff, your arrays
are allocated on the host, so it is here there is an inefficiency.

The "use" method inserts a statement in the syntax tree generated by
the front-end, which the back-end can use as a hint to transfer that
array to the GPU, while compiling the rest of the program into CUDA
code. The Data.Array.Accelerate.CUDA.run function is the one that
actually moves the arrays to the GPU.

I haven't tried executing your code and I'm not sure why the front-end
is that slow.

--
Martin Dybdal