[Haskell-cafe] ANN: generic-deepseq 1.0.0.0

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:06:35 CET 2012

On 19 February 2012 18:11, Maxime Henrion <mhenrion at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're not dealing with an abstract datatype, you _shouldn't_ have an
> explicit instance, because it would be possible to write an incorrect one,
> while that is impossible if you just derive a generic implementation
> (as long as the generic code is correct, of course).

I agree. I hadn't considered this advantage yet. I guess it's the same
argument for why it's better to automatically derive Data and Typeable
instances using the DeriveDataTypeable extension.

> So, knowing that it would necessarily be backwards incompatible (I
> wasn't intending to hack on GHC :-), and also that, in the end, this is
> not quite the same class as the NFData class from the deepseq package, I
> thought it made more sense to create another package that would be
> mostly compatible with deepseq, but with a different class name so as to
> force people to reevaluate the need for their instances if they have
> some. I'd be interested in knowing what you and others think about that.
> Maybe I'm being overly cautious?

I do think it's better to integrate this into the deepseq package (and
thus removing the default implementation of rnf). Otherwise we end up
with two ways of evaluating values to normal form.

> I'm guilty of not having preserved the "rnf :: a -> ()"
> function as the class function though, it's a wrapper around "deepseq"
> in my code. I just didn't see the point of having a class function with
> such a signature versus having a function just like "seq :: a -> b ->
> b". In retrospect, that might have been a bad idea, and maybe I should
> switch to have an "rnf :: a -> ()" class function to make switching even
> easier?

I'm not sure but maybe a method like "rnf :: a -> ()" is easier to optimize.

Also in my experience (with generics support in aeson and cereal) it's
a very good idea (performance-wise) to INLINE your methods like I did
in my previous message. Of course the only way to know for sure is the
create some (criterion) benchmarks.

One last issue: Say I have a type like: "data T = C !Int"
Currently GHC Generics can't express the strictness annotation. This
means that your deepseq will unnecessarily evaluate the Int (since it
will always be evaluated already). It would be nice if the strictness
information could be added to the K1 type. (José, would it be hard to
add this to GHC.Generics?)

Regards,

Bas