[Haskell-cafe] "Good" Java book? (not off-topic)

Christoph Breitkopf chbreitkopf at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:28:50 CET 2012

How about recommending a Scala book instead of Java? That would teach a
functional mindset, and on stepping back to Java, they'd just have a
different syntax for types, and some missing stuff.

On the Java side, I own "A Little Java, a Few Patterns" by Friedmann and
Felleisen. This would certainly not make them impervious to anything
functional, but I don't think it serves as a general introduction to Java.
Maybe it would be suitable in addition to another book. I can second the
recommendation of "Effective Java".

- Chris