[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 215

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:38:51 CET 2012

Welcome to issue 215 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of February 5 to
11, 2012.

You can find the HTML version of this issue at:
http://contemplatecode.blogspot.com/2012/02/haskell-weekly-news-issue-215.html

Quotes of the Week

   * nand': haskell has a few advantages in the industry that few other
     languages can offer. these will become more obvious as time goes on
     and programming is forced into a functional direction in general.

   * seo: What i do not realize is actually how you are now not really
     much more well-liked than you might be right now. You are so
     intelligent. You realize thus significantly in terms of this
     subject, produced me in my view consider it from so many numerous
     angles. Its like men and women are not interested unless it‚s one
     thing to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. Always
     care for it up!

   * monochrom: Schrodinger's Klein glass bottle: before you look, the
     cat is inside or outside; after you look, it is inside and outside
     :)

   * cmccann: Ruby is a fine language if you're secretly a lisp
     programmer but want to hide behing perl and smalltalk so nobody
     catches you

   * mlh: nice quote -- quick, someone register it for posterity

   * something: somebody never said, naturally.

   * irene-knapp: I was going to take a famous quote and put it in
     lambdabot as my own but I couldn't decide on one

   * shachaf: getLine :: IO String contains a String in the same way
     that /bin/ls contains a list of files

   * edwardk: [unsafePerformIO] sounds like a good idea, its tempting,
     it makes life easy, for the first 2 lines of code. then you go to
     write the third and everything goes to shit

   * cmccann: Idiom brackets are where you consume a mixture of alcohol
     and Conor McBride papers until your vision gets blurry enough that
     you can't actually see the Applicative operators anymore.

   * Philippa: incidentally, if you think about this you're probably
     starting to image control flow that looks like it's a glyph for
     summoning cthulhu - and then realising that it's 3d and consists of
     'towers'. Make sense?

   * c_wraith: also, "actual" reals is a funny thing to call a set that
     consists mostly of things that cannot be described.

   * NihilistDandy: I feel like a hipster whenever I talk programming
     with people at my school. I always have to preface discussions with
     "you've probably never heard of it" :/

   * ion: Three lefts make two wrongs

   * elliott: Explicit recursion should generally be avoided. Also,
     general recursion should be explicitly avoided!

   * CodeWeaverX: I expect that Weird Untraceable Suitcases Full Of Bad
     could result from the program assuming such an operation is pure
     when it clearly isn't.

   * elliott: cmccann: the instances list haddock generates is now a
              thing of majesty
     edwardk: elliott: welcome to my world

   * mzero: functional programming has a property that is often lacking
     in other languages... at dinner last night we were discussing it,
     and I dubbed it: "The Princess Bride" property --- which is, that a
     piece of code means what you think it means

   * sclv: You have a problem and think "I'll use a hash function." Now
     you have intermittantly colliding problems.

   * monochrom: data Ph a = Ph -- the phantom monad
     ksion: Is that a new Star Wars prequel? ;)

   * user1151874: i already declare hp as int with value 3 now my
     problem is when i put "hp--", it shows error [...] but if i put
     "--hp", the result print is 3 not 2.

   * edwardk: thats my secret. really i don't write anything. i just let
     others do the work and upload it to hackage behind their backs

Top Reddit Stories

   * Haskell as most mainstream non-mainstream language? The RedMonk
Programming
     Language Rankings: February 2012
     Domain: redmonk.com, Score: 45, Comments: 25
     On Reddit: [1] http://goo.gl/xWHB8
     Original: [2] http://goo.gl/REBXN

   * The future is parallel, and the future of parallel is declarative
     (Simon Peyton Jones) [RE: Escape From the Ivory Tower]
     Domain: yow.eventer.com, Score: 41, Comments: 5
     On Reddit: [3] http://goo.gl/PJSlh
     Original: [4] http://goo.gl/zUKT5

   * How Prelude avoids overlapping instances in Show
     Domain: brandon.si, Score: 32, Comments: 18
     On Reddit: [5] http://goo.gl/qGPZK
     Original: [6] http://goo.gl/rC6qr

   * InfoQ: Yesod Web Framework (Michael's QCon talk)
     Domain: infoq.com, Score: 32, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [7] http://goo.gl/93SFv
     Original: [8] http://goo.gl/Xao7S

   * Search tree that does not require that items be sorted.
     Domain: twanvl.nl, Score: 28, Comments: 3
     On Reddit: [9] http://goo.gl/R2yLD
     Original: [10] http://goo.gl/WGfcV

   * Reverse engineering the ZeroMQ wire protocol for ZMQHS
     Domain: xrl.tureus.com, Score: 27, Comments: 0
     On Reddit: [11] http://goo.gl/UKIun
     Original: [12] http://goo.gl/oVstA

   * Announcing Yesod 0.10 - conduits, persistent 0.8, improved Coffeescript
     integration
     Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 25, Comments: 12
     On Reddit: [13] http://goo.gl/1RRJH
     Original: [14] http://goo.gl/KftN5

   * Real World Haskell book site -- is it known to be down? If so how long
has
     it been down and will it come back?
     Domain: book.realworldhaskell.org, Score: 24, Comments: 15
     On Reddit: [15] http://goo.gl/GV6z2
     Original: [16] http://goo.gl/RCxnT

   * What do Haskellers think of Rust? It's got lambdas and ADTs with
C-style
     notation.
     Domain: rust-lang.org, Score: 24, Comments: 40
     On Reddit: [17] http://goo.gl/a9bCB
     Original: [18] http://goo.gl/xAKHx

   * r/darcs - for discussing darcs and patch theory
     Domain: reddit.com, Score: 24, Comments: 8
     On Reddit: [19] http://goo.gl/37ArD
     Original: [20] http://goo.gl/qQiaD

   * Will Haskell be the Smalltalk of functional programming?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 22, Comments: 54
     On Reddit: [21] http://goo.gl/ZxmBN
     Original: [22] http://goo.gl/ZxmBN

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Abusing the algebra of algebraic data types - why does this work?
     votes: 53, answers: 4
     Read on SO: [23] http://goo.gl/MyQRO

   * Recommended reading/tutorials to understand reactive-banana FRP library
     votes: 13, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [24] http://goo.gl/hTPv6

   * Safe modelling of relational data in Haskell
     votes: 12, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [25] http://goo.gl/4bEXX

   * What are the definitions for >>= and return for the IO monad?
     votes: 12, answers: 3
     Read on SO: [26] http://goo.gl/9jH2x

   * Basic Structure of a Haskell Program
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [27] http://goo.gl/3OcKg

   * GHC API - How to dynamically load Haskell code from a compiled module
using
     GHC 7.2?
     votes: 11, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [28] http://goo.gl/aYKZz

   * Lifting a higher order function in Haskell
     votes: 9, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [29] http://goo.gl/JhmjK

   * How do you check the type of a local variable?
     votes: 8, answers: 5
     Read on SO: [30] http://goo.gl/Ynfgv

   * Tail optimization guarantee - loop encoding in Haskell
     votes: 7, answers: 2
     Read on SO: [31] http://goo.gl/PKqfq

   * Writing in pointfree style f x = g x x
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO: [32] http://goo.gl/EIFBw

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz