[Haskell-cafe] Haskell-Cafe Tag (was: Optimizations and parallel execution in the IO for a small spellchecker)

JP Moresmau jpmoresmau at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 20:49:02 CET 2012

I was not aware that it was something a poster was supposed to do, but
now I notice that while the messages I get from the list have
[Haskell-Cafe] on their subject, the ones I post don't. The
Haskell-Cafe info page
(http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe) does not
mention that you should have that tag in the subject. I'm probably a
uncouth Frenchman knowing nothing about netiquette, but surely the
list software could add such a tag if it was required?

JP

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Paul Sujkov <psujkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I've forgotten to add a [Haskell-Cafe] tag for the message.
>

> On 15 February 2012 19:33, Paul Sujkov <psujkov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> http://hpaste.org/63732
>>
>> that's a very simple spellchecker application: it consumes standard Linux
>> dictionary, reads a file, and prints out words from that file that are not
>> on the dictionary. I have taken it from a little cross-language benchmark
>> and used to benchmark existing hash table implementations available on
>> Hackage (with one used in code being the best according to timings). The
>> question is: can I go further and effectively execute lookup and (maybe)
>> output (line 20 or line 26 in the snippet) in parallel?
>>
>> I'm not good at all with Haskell parallel packages; I've tried
>> monad-parallel (naive implementation eats away all the memory available) and
>> parallel (haven't tried Par monad yet), but the last dosn't seem to fit well
>> with the IO operations. If anyone can give me any suggestions on how can I
>> implement parallel execution, or any thoughts on further sequential
>> optimizations, it would be deeply appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Paul Sujkov
>

> --
> Regards, Paul Sujkov