[Haskell-cafe] Undocumented cost-centres (.\) using auto-all, and SCC pragma not being honored

Dan Maftei ninestraycats at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 17:17:00 CET 2012

> 1 When profiling my code with -auto-all, my .prof file names some
sub-expressions with a backslash. Cf. below. What are these?

     e_step
      e_step.ewords
      e_step.\
       e_step.\.\
        e_step.update_counts
      e_step.fwords

My e_step function binds seven expressions inside a let, then uses them in
two ugly nested folds. (Yes, very hackish)  As you can see, three such
expressions are named explicitly (ewords, fwords, and update_counts). But
where are the rest? Further, perhaps the backslashes have something to do
with the lambda expressions I am using in the two nested folds?

2. A related question: I tried using the SCC pragma instead of auto-all. I
added it to all seven expressions inside the let, and to the nested folds.
However, only two showed up in the .prof file! How come?

Thanks
ninestraycats