[Haskell-cafe] [haskell-cafe] Some reflections on Haskell

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Wed Feb 15 03:58:50 CET 2012

Markus: "What about hoogle/hayoo and hackage?"

Antoine: "Do you have any links to examples that we should imitate?"

Hackage is notionally similar to the Java API documentation at
But Hackage "Documentation" pages typically only give syntax, while Java
pages invariably summarize semantics.  This makes a world of difference.
The quality of the summaries bespeaks a lot of editorial attention
above and beyond culling annotations from source code.

Considerable care has been taken in describing the GHC library at
but even there one can find absolute mystery entries like