[Haskell-cafe] [haskell-cafe] Some reflections on Haskell

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:37:34 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> Nevertheless, I share Jardine's concern about the central problem.
> It is hard to find one's way in this ecosystem.  It needn't be,
> as Java illustrates.  To my mind Java's great contribution to the
> world is its library index--light years ahead of typical
> "documentation" one finds at haskell.org, which lacks the guiding
> hand of a flesh-and-blood librarian.  In this matter, it
> seems, industrial curation can achieve clarity more easily than
> open source.

Hi Doug,

I'm not really familiar with the Java ecosystem - most of my
experience has involved a couple Apache projects, which had decent
wikis next to really terrible raw API documentation (with links from
the wikis into the raw API documentation as if it were a useful
thing).

But I assume my experience isn't typical - I'm not a Java dev.

Do you have any links to examples that we should imitate? Or a summary
of how it works "over there"?

Thanks,
Antoine