[Haskell-cafe] Hackage 2 maintainership

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 05:17:11 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Ben Gamari <bgamari.foss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Those of you who follow the Haskell subreddit no doubt saw today's post
> regarding the status of Hackage 2. As has been said many times in the
> past, the primary blocker at this point to the adoption of Hackage 2
> appears to be the lack of an administrator.
>
> It seems to me this is a poor reason for this effort to be held
> up. Having taken a bit of time to consider, I would be willing to put in
> some effort to get things moving and would be willing to maintain the
> haskell.org Hackage 2.0 instance going forward if necessary.
>
> I currently have a running installation on my personal machine and
> things seem to be working as they should. On the whole, installation was
> quite trivial, so it seems likely that the project is indeed at a point
> where it can take real use (although a "logout" option in the web
> interface would make testing a bit easier).

One thing that made testing hard for me last time was that existing
'cabal install' client treats the server "hackage.haskell.org"
different from any other server you put in your config files, so
simulating the effect of a cutover on existing users can be tricky.

If you don't know what I'm talking about I can look it up. I had a
hacked 'cabal' client at one point, and I could probably re-create the
patches.

Antoine