[Haskell-cafe] Any advices on optimizing an array processing in a pitch tuner

Dmitry Vyal akamaus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 08:06:10 CET 2012

Hello Haskellers,

Recently I've revived my old toy project. It's a sound spectrum analyzer
with Gtk2hs interface. I decided to rewrite it into a pitch tuner.
Basically I'm done, but I've ran into performance difficulties while
trying to rise a resolution in a frequency space.

The original code used Storable arrays to get data out of fftw, for some
processing I convert it to lists, which obviously hinders performance.
I've heard there are some modern efficient array processing libraries
available. So I hope I can avoid writing all those low-level for loops.

Any hints on how to optimize and prettify the code are welcome.

Repository is located at https://github.com/akamaus/HTuner

Best regards,
Dmitry