[Haskell-cafe] Cannot understand liftM2

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:27:31 CET 2012

To understand how liftM2 achieves the cartesian product, I think
one way is to find liftM2's implementation and (>>=) implementation
as part of []'s instantiation of the Monad class.

You can find the first in Control.Monad, and the second in
the standard prelude.

Lists are monads, and as John (almost) said, liftM2 f x y is equivalent to
liftM2 f m1 m2 = do
  x1 <- m1
  x2 <- m2
  return (f x1 x2)

Which is syntactic sugar (fancy Haskell) for

liftM2 f m1 m2 =
  m1 >>= (\x1 -> m2 >>= (\x2 -> return (f x1 x2)))

In the prelude, you can find
instance  Monad []  where
    m >>= k             = foldr ((++) . k) [] m

Fhe right-hand side of (>>=) here is roughly equivalent to
concat (map k m).

The last step, which I leave as an exercise to the reader (I always wanted
to say that), is use the right hand side of the definition of (>>=) for lists
in the right hand side of liftM2 when applied to (,) and two lists.

You can see the type of the function (,) (yes, comma is a function!)
by executing, in ghci:

:type (,)

Cheers,
Ivan.