[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Support tools for development with Cabal and Darcs

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Feb 10 15:00:49 CET 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> Would you mind giving me a breif explanation of the "compiling
> multiple local packages in the right order" feature? I'd like to
> understand what is missing in cabal-install in this respect.
>
> Currently with cabal-install you can say:
>
> cabal install ./a ./b ./c
>
> and it will install the packages in those directories in the right
> order. (It is also possible to list other install targets including
> local and remote tarballs, and of course packages from hackage).

I believe that the first version of cabal-sort is older than this
cabal-install feature. Nonetheless, cabal-sort can be used for other
purposes, too. E.g. you can use plain Cabal installation, when 'cabal
install' does not work due to problems in constraint solving. You can
upload packages in topologically sorted order to Hackage, such that
building on Hackage works correctly. Is this also done by cabal-install's
upload command? You can also use cabal-sort for stepping into package
directories and do some manual updates before installing.

However, I will add references to the new cabal-install features in the
documentation of cabal-sort.