[Haskell-cafe] ANN: stm-conduit-0.2.1

Clark Gaebel cgaebel at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 9 19:32:41 CET 2012

Hi all,

I've just released stm-conduit [1] on Hackage. This package introduces
conduits to the wonderful world of concurrency.

My package solves the common problem of constant bottleneck switching
loaders have. This is when, for example, we stream XML from the disk and
then parse the XML in one conduit pipeline. While it streams a file from
the disk, the process is clearly IO bound, and while it parses the XML, the
process is CPU bound. By putting each task on its own thread, the disk IO
doesn't need to wait for the CPU to parse a document before loading the
next file. By using stm-based conduits, we have full resource utilization.

The way it does this is by creating a source and sink for TChans, letting
us stream data between conduits and channels. There are more examples in
the docs.

Check it out!

Regards,
  - clark