[Haskell-cafe] The State of Testing?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 23:12:43 CET 2012

By the way, has anyone else had trouble with "cabal test" diverging?

I've been running into this issue with cabal 0.10.2, but ONLY in
conjunction with GHC 6.12.3.  It's hard to make a small reproducer for (and
therefore I haven't filed a bug yet), but you can see the below Jenkins run
stalled for 2.5 days, whereas it should take minutes:

http://tester-lin.soic.indiana.edu:8080/job/monad-par_github_master/JENKINS_GHC=ghc-6.12.3/17/console

Note that it *doesn't* burn CPU -- it deadlocks rather than spins.

I replaced "cabal test" with a direct call to the test executable and I
haven't seen this problem since.

   -Ryan