[Haskell-cafe] Exceeding OS limits for simultaneous socket connections

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:38:30 CET 2012

On 30 January 2012 14:22, Rob Stewart <robstewart57 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing the "accept: resource exhausted (Too many open
> files)" exception when trying to use sockets in my Haskell program.
>
> The situation:
> - Around a dozen Linux machines running my Haskell program,
> transmitting thousands of messages to each other, sometimes within a
> small period of time.

> $ ulimit -n
> 1024

This is not an OS limit, this is your freely chosen limit.  You should not
run with this few file descriptors on a server.  Increasing this by 50x is
entirely reasonable.  However, having too many open TCP connections is not
a good thing either. 1024 was an upper limit way way back on the i386 linux
architecture for code using the select() system call, that is why it is
still a common default.

There are a few ways to get out of this situation.

1. Reuse your TCP connections.  Maybe you could even use HTTP.  An HTTP
library might do reusing of connections for you.

2.  Since you are blocking in getContents, there is a probability that it
is the senders that are being lazy in sendAll.  They opened the TCP
connection, but now they are not sending everything in sendAll, so your
receiver is having lots of threads that are blocked on reading.  Try to be
strict when *sending* so you do not have too many ongoing TCP connections.

3. On the receiver side, to be robust, you could limit the number of
threads that are allowed to do an accept() to the number of file
descriptors you have free.  You can also block on a semaphore whenever
accept returns out of resources, and signal that semaphore after every
close.

Alexander

Indeed, when I experience the "accept: resource exhausted (Too many