[Haskell-cafe] Evaluating parallel computations in order of finishing (approximately)

Edward Amsden eca7215 at cs.rit.edu
Tue Feb 7 00:24:28 CET 2012

Conal Elliot did something like this for his FRP system in the paper
Push-Pull Functional Reactive Programming [1]. It involved a hack in
which unsafePerformIO was used to spawn two threads to evaluate two
events for occurrences, and return whichever returned first.

Recall though, that monads aren't magic (despite frequent appearances
to the contrary.) They are just functional structures that have to
obey all of the normal restrictions of a pure functional language,
including referential transparency. The entire point of Haskell's
parallelism constructs is to make the returned values independent of
parallel evaluation order. You're not going to escape that by using a
monad, unless its one like IO which exists to order side-effects and
isolate them in the type system.

[1] http://conal.net/papers/push-pull-frp/