[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code 2012 Announced

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:54:49 CET 2012

Hi all,

Here's a heads-up that this year's Google of Code is kicking off. My
experience from the last few years is that we can maximize the output we
get from GSoC by being proactive and writing down semi-detailed
explanations of what kind of projects we'd like to see, instead of letting
the students pick themselves*. Here's three examples of such write-ups I
did last year:

http://blog.johantibell.com/2011/03/summer-of-code-project-suggestions.html

Concretely:

 1. Write down the project suggestions somewhere (e.g. on the wiki, your
blog, etc).
 2. Advertise the projects on haskell-cafe, reddit, twitter, Google+
 3. Profit.

* The students tend to not know what makes a good GSoC project and often
aim for something too difficult, like writing a new project from scratch
instead of contributing to an old one. Contributing to widely used
libraries or infrastructure usually results in

 * a larger benefit for the community, and
 * the students sticking around.

My guess is that the student tend to stick around after the project is done
if they contribute to infrastructure projects, as they'll see their stuff
get used and will get feature requests/bug reports that will make them
continue working on the project.

-- Johan