[Haskell-cafe] Adding Html formatting to formlets

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:57:51 CET 2012

Hi Jeremy

If  the signature of a formlet or digestive functor is

View *format m a *

with `*m*` a monad,  `*a*` the resulting value  and `*format*` the
formatting (Usually HTML)

then the signatures of the operators for Text.XHtml format are:

*(<<<) :: Monad m => (Html -> Html) -> View Html m a -> View Html m a

(<++) :: Monad m => Html -> View Html m a -> View Html m a

(++>) :: Monad m => View Html m a -> Html -> View Html m a

(<+>) ::  Monad m  => View Html m a    -> View Html m b -> View Html m
(Either a' b')*

My mplementation is tightly integrated with other non  related
functionalities in an app server that I´m developing so a translation to
diggestive functors is not trivial, but I too would love to have this
integrated in digestive functors for the shake of modularity.

2012/2/3 Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Formlets is deprecated in favor of digestive functors. If you have not
looked at the digestive-functors package I highly recommend that you do. It
fixes a lot of little issues that formlets had -- but is basically the same
thing.

> The (<<<) operator is a already a standard operator in Control.Category /
Control.Arrow. So, it is probably confusing to reuse that symbol for
something else…

> The digestive functors library defines two new operators (++>) and (<++)
which are somewhat related to what you are trying to do.

> In HTML, the <label> tag is supposed to reference the 'id' of the field
is it labeling. For example, you might have:

>  <label for="username">Username: </label><input text="text" id="username"
name="username" value="">

> In formlets, there was no way to do that because the 'ids' are not
accessible to the user. In digestive functors you can use the ++> operator
to 'share' an id between to elements. That allows you to write:

> label "Username :" ++>  inputText Nothing
>
> Anyway, I would  love to see:
>
>  a) your new combinators renamed and reimplemented for digestive-functors
>  b) the type signatures of these new operators
>
> With out the type signatures it is a bit hard to decipher what your new
operators are actually doing..

> But, I love seeing any new improvements to the
formlets/digestive-functors concept!