[Haskell-cafe] zlib broken?

Mark Wright gienah at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 2 12:29:48 CET 2012

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 07:59:08 +0200, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've received a number of reports of a broken zlib (and
> experienced it myself). Is this a generally known issue?
> As a temporary workaround, I've released a new version of
> zlib-bindings that has an upper bound on zlib to avoid (and
> later). Once a new patched version is released, I'll release an
> updated version of zlib-bindings to remove that overly restrictive
> upper bound.
> Michael

Hi Michael,

zlib builds fine, with ghc 7.0.4 Cabal- it just needs
some help to find the header file containing the macros generated by
cabal.  To avoid the error:

Stream.hsc:86:21: error: missing binary operator before token "("

in the Gentoo Haskell overlay I pass this extra option to the
runghc ./Setup.hs configure:

where ${S} is the source code directory.

With ghc 7.2.2 and 7.4.1-rc2 it compiles fine with or without
this configure option.