[Haskell-cafe] Object Oriented programming for Functional Programmers

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 03:11:21 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been collecting material regarding (confusions around) OO.  Its far
> from complete but the references may be useful, eg
>  - the Rees list on the different things that OO means to different people
>  - the fundamental philosophical differences between commitment to
> declarativeness and imperativeness -- in philosophical language rationalism
> and empiricism
>
> As I said, its still in the early stage of bits and pieces being
> collected...
> http://blog.languager.org/2012/07/we-dont-need-no-ooooo-orientation-2.html
>
> * If so, where should I start? There are plenty of "functional programming
>> for OO programmers" but I have never seen "OO programming for functional
>> programmers".
>>

> In the C++ world Stepanov is almost on par with Stroupstrup.  His STL has
> transformed C++ practices more than anything else
> Good to read his views on OOP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Stepanov#Criticism_of_OOP

Just realized that the resultant anti-OOP direction of my earlier mail is
stronger than is good for a young computer scientist.
In a field like ours its as important to be able to wear a
technical/mathematical hat as a social or political one.
And when the latter, its good to be able to participate in a discussion in
which inheritance, UML etc etc figures.