[Haskell-cafe] lambda case (was Re: A big hurray for lambda-case (and all the other good stuff))

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Sat Dec 29 20:02:45 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 05:49:53PM +0000, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> writes:
> > just wanted to drop by to say how much I like the new lambda case extension.
> > I use it all the time and I just *love* how it relieves me from conjuring up
> > dummy variables, which makes teh code not only esier to write but also to
> > read.
>
> > [...] should *definitely* go into Haskell'13.
[...]
> To me it seems obvious that if we are going to do this [...] we should do
> it simply by making the "case exp" part of a case expression optional.
>
>    of {alts...}
>
> and we would then describe
>
>    case e of {...}
>
> as syntactic sugar for

My very belated and unsolicited layman's reply is that I am a strong
supporter of Jon's position.  His suggestion is parsimonious and natural.
Without wishing to start the discussion again, I disagree that it is
bikeshedding.  One lesson I learned from Haskell is that syntax is much more
important than I previously realised.

Tom