[Haskell-cafe] getting upload date from hackage-db?

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Sat Dec 29 08:56:51 CET 2012

(Firstly, I apologize if this is not the right mailing list for this
question.  But haskell-cafe seems to be the place to go when in doubt.)

I'm using the hackage-db package (Distribution.Hackage.DB) to analyze
Hackage programatically.  It parses 00-index.tar and provides a
mapping from package name and version to a GenericPackageDescription.

I've figured out how to get most of the information I want from the
GenericPackageDescription.  But one piece of information that's
present on the Hackage web pages that I'd like to be able to get is
"Upload date", but I can't find this information anywhere in the
GenericPackageDescription.  Am I missing it?

It looks like the modification dates of the cabal files inside 00-
index.tar correspond to the upload date.  Is this correct?  If so, I
could parse this out of 00-index.tar myself (using the "tar"
package).  Is that the best way to do what I'm trying to accomplish,
or is there a better, less "reinventing the wheel" way that I'm missing?

Thanks,

--Patrick