[Haskell-cafe] Documentation operator

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 04:20:02 CET 2012

I also like this idea a lot!  Here're a couple more benefits:

1) This makes it possible to generate documentation from TH - quite handy
for things like lens generation / Yesod-like DSLs.

2) The annotation can aid automatically determining how an API has changed.
I have a WIP tool[1] that tries to generate a module signature file that's
amenable to line-based-diffing.  Having these type annotations could really
aid such diffs in being informative.

3) This would interact very well with holes in type signatures (not
currently part of GHC holes, IIRC).  Not only could you document the holes,
but you can also get docs-for-free from the "neat composition trick".

There would definitely need to be GHC support - wouldn't want these
appearing in type errors!

-Michael

[1]
https://github.com/mgsloan/api-compat/blob/master/examples/template-haskell.api.diff